March 17 to 23 is National Animal Poison Prevention Week

March 17 to 23 is National Animal Poison Prevention Week, which runs as a part of the Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month, a larger cause to spread awareness about pet poisoning.
 Some of the most seemingly benign elements in our houses and gardens can be dangerous—and some downright deadly—to animals. There can be misinformation out there, so let’s go over some of the most dangerous for our pets.
  1. Lily Flowers can cause renal failure in cats. Just a few bites can be toxic. Keep them out of cats’ environments.
  2. Advil (Ibuprofen):  All medication in this category will cause renal failure in dogs. It will only take two to three adult-sized capsules in a 20 lb. dog to cause kidney damage.
  3. Dark chocolate can cause seizures in dogs. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is for them. The caffeine is the problem. A big Labrador who eats a half of a regular bag of M&Ms or a few Oreo cookies will be fine. We often get calls about dogs eating chocolate cake or a pack of Peanut Butter cups. Neither of those has a toxic dose of chocolate. (They actually have very little dark chocolate in them.)
  4. Raisins/Grapes: Some ingestions won’t cause toxicity and some will, depending on the ripeness of the fruit, so any ingestion should be treated like an emergency. It will take two to four days for renal problems to develop, but vomiting will occur first, so don’t wait until you see signs of toxicity.
  5. Candy/Cake/Cookies: Most are fine, but will cause vomiting and diarrhea. Again, the more dark chocolate these treats contain, the worse they are.
  6. Ingestion of dental floss, ribbon, string, strips of towel, or rug strips can cause a severe intestinal obstruction called Linear Foreign Body. If your pet develops this, they will absolutely need immediate surgery to remove these objects.
The key to prevention in poisoning and dangerous consumption is to monitor not only what your pets eat, but what they have access to.
Sometimes they can surprise us with what they can get into.  Be vigilant!
Heartworm prevention month in April 2024
Poison emergency at Roosevelt Vet with Dr. Glassman and patient
a
Tags: